Sunday, February 19, 2012

My Glory or God's

I'll be preaching on the sin of 'selfishness' this afternoon.  At the heart of selfishness is the belief that I am at the center of the universe, but the truth is that God, alone, is at the center of the universe.  The world revolves around God; the world does not revolve around me.  Here is a sampling of verses, teaching that God is the center, and therefore God alone is worthy of worship...


Isaiah 43:6-7  
I will say to the north, Give up,
and to the south, Do not withhold;
bring my sons from afar
and my daughters from the end of the earth, 
everyone who is called by my name,
whom I created for my glory,
whom I formed and made.”

Psalm 106:8
Yet he saved them for his name's sake, that he might make known his mighty power.
Ezekiel 20:14
But I acted for the sake of my name, that it should not be profaned in the sight of the nations, in whose sight I had brought them out.

Exodus 14:4
And I will harden Pharaoh's heart, and he will pursue them, and I will get glory over Pharaoh and all his host, and the Egyptians shall know that I am the Lord.” And they did so.

John 14:13
Whatever you ask in my name, this I will do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.
John 16:14
He will glorify me, for he will take what is mine and declare it to you.
Acts 12:23
Immediately an angel of the Lord struck him down, because he did not give God the glory, and he was eaten by worms and breathed his last.

Philippians 1:9-11
And it is my prayer that your love may abound more and more, with knowledge and all discernment, 10 so that you may approve what is excellent, and so be pure and blameless for the day of Christ, 11 filled with the fruit of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ, to the glory and praise of God.
Psalm 23:3
He restores my soul.
He leads me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake.

Luke 2:13-14
And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God and saying,  “Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace among those with whom he is pleased!”
John 12:27-28
“Now is my soul troubled. And what shall I say? ‘Father, save me from this hour’? But for this purpose I have come to this hour. 28 Father, glorify your name.” Then a voice came from heaven: “I have glorified it, and I will glorify it again.”  

2 Thessalonians 1:9-10
They will suffer the punishment of eternal destruction, away from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of his might, 10  when he comes on that day to be glorified in his saints, and to be marveled at among all who have believed, because our testimony to you was believed.
Habakkuk 2:14
For the earth will be filled
with the knowledge of the glory of the Lord
as the waters cover the sea.
1 Corinthians 10:31
So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.
Isaiah 26:8
In the path of your judgments,
O Lord, we wait for you;
your name and remembrance
are the desire of our soul
.
Matthew 5:16
In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven.
Ephesians 1:5-6
he predestined us for adoption as sons through Jesus Christ, according to the purpose of his will, to the praise of his glorious grace, with which he has blessed us in the Beloved.
Isaiah 43:25
“I, I am he who blots out your transgressions for my own sake,
and I will not remember your sins.
Psalm 25:11
For your name's sake, O Lord,
pardon my guilt, for it is great.

Isaiah 48:11
For my own sake, for my own sake, I do it,
for how should my name be profaned?
 My glory I will not give to another.

No comments:

Post a Comment